Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Natural air freshener: lemon, cinnamon, vanilla

 As I'm getting ready to pack up and leave my country for love, I'm in the midst of selling my condo.  I'm of the opinion that a nice & clean home will always feel more inviting than the opposite, so in preparation for the open house I was having, after cleaning everything top to bottom, I decided to make it smell inviting too.
I found various recipes for natural air fresheners involving rosemary, lavender, cloves,  etc... but I decided to go with what I had on hand.

I used:
A sauce pot, 2/3 full of water
1 lemon, cut up into slices
2 cinnamon sticks
1 capful (about 1 tsp) of vanilla extract

I set the pot to boil, then after it was boiled, I added the ingredients.  I reduced it to simmer, and through the day, I would add a cupful of water, when I saw it was getting low.

Kept it going all day, and the entire condo smelled incredible!  My agent even mentioned it as soon as she walked in the door.  This scent is absolutely heavenly, and I definitely recommend it.  If you search around pinterest, you'll also be able to find various recipes for different scents. Here is the recipe that originally inspired me!  Let me know in the comments if you have a wonderful combination that makes your house smell divine.




Pin It

1 comment:

  1. We actually boiled some cinnamon sticks one year on Christmas Eve 'cause we were cooking smelly Italian fish all afternoon and the cinnamon totally got rid of the fishy smell! When our family came over for dinner that night, the first thing they said upon entering the house was: "Didn't you guys make the fish?! How come I don't smell it?! Did you change the menu?!" XD

    ReplyDelete