Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Paleo Turkey Burgers & Homemade Ketchup!

Turkey burger with homemade paleo ketchup

Last night, I needed to use up some ground turkey that I had taken out, and I wanted something quick and easy.  Well, I sort of failed at the "quick" part - but I did come up with something relatively easy, tasty and delicious!  

I based my turkey burgers on this post, but used only ingredients that I had in the house.   
Mine were a little something like this:

1 lb ground turkey
3 tbsp cauliflower puree (Yup - I keep various vegetable purees in the freezer, for whenever the need should arise!)
2 tbsp homemade salsa
1 tbsp onion flakes
1 tbsp garlic flakes
splash of tamari sauce
splash of Frank's Red Hot sauce
1/2 tsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder

I mixed all this goodness together in one big bowl, and formed into 6 patties.  Placed the patties on w axed paper, and cut the individual squares of waxed paper out, as suggested in the original recipe (brilliant idea! Makes it so much easier to transfer the patties into the pan!)
At first, I was afraid that these would not hold together well and that I would have to turn my burgers into sloppy joes... but I had a little patience, and they actually turned out great.  I might consider adding some almond flour to them next time.  They did have to cook a lot longer than I expected...probably at least 20-30 minutes.

The ketchup was SUPER easy.  I got it straight from this post.  I followed it exactly, except that I made half the recipe.  Tastes just like regular ketchup!

Have you tried anything new lately?


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. So freaking delicious! We hoovered these last night and really wished we had made more. I was out of cauliflower puree, so I subbed in sweet potato, and added some almond flour, as suggested. Everything else was left the same.

    We topped them with sautéed mushrooms and served with garlic-roasted broccoli. Easily one of the best turkey burgers I've ever had. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed them! Your serving companions sound delicious!

      Delete